Recognized on the National Registry of Historic Buildings
In 1899 WJ Armstrong planned the construction of the building known as the WJ Armstrong Wholesale Grocers and had the DJ McCain Co. ship the lumber from Thornwood Washington. The building was constructed in 1900, three years before the Wright Brothers made their first powered flight at Kitty Hawk North Carolina. The building was constructed as a Grocery Warehouse serving Southern Minnesota from 1900 until the early 1980s. In 1981, the building was placed on the National Register of Historic sites "as the best preserved building and unaltered business representing an important historical link to the railroad." The building was ordered to be torn down December of 1999, In November 1999, the building was purchased from the Isker family by the Miller family. The building consists of 700 columns and beams - hardwood maple floors - 92,500 bricks and a Kasota stone foundation. It is the only example of Mill construction in southern Minnesota to support 200 pounds per square foot.
this page is updated monthly